Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Transformers

Mood:  "more than meets the eye..." seriously though, I feel transformed


*Disclaimer*  This blog post does not contain any actual mention of autobots, decepticons, or other transformers


When it comes to liking things that are typically considered "girly" I am quite...well....typical.  I love getting my hair done, doing my nails, putting on makeup, picking out accessories to complete the outfit, wearing perfume everyday.  The little "girly" things like that make me super happy.


I've recently fallen in love with Aveda products.  The skincare line, the hair care...amazing.  When I needed a color refresher before the wedding I went to an Aveda salon.  It was a phenomenal experience and great service, but I paid...a lot.  More than I'd care to admit right now.  As newlyweds Jeff and I are attempting to save for the family we have and the family we want to build.  The home we want to live in one day, and the comfort and security we hope to provide to Malcolm...and if all goes well...another child.  


So when we got back from the honeymoon and I was unemployed, color maintenance was pretty much the last thing on our list of expenses.  And even once I started working, I couldn't justify paying what I did the last time my hair was done.  On Friday I had to buy a feeder mouse...as I previously mentioned on this blog.  I was on the phone with the husband getting directions to Petco and talking about how I wanted to schedule a hair appointment when I got home.  As the Petco came in to sight, so did the very place I wanted to book a hair appointment...the Aveda Institute of Des Moines.  Ummmm....fate much?


So I bought the mouse, booked the appointment...and yesterday I had the most amazing experience ever.  Can I just tell you all how absolutely pampering this place is?  Not only does it smell absolutely incredibly, but the lighting is warm and so inviting.  You receive a scalp massage as a beginning to any cut/color and then the consultation and work begins.  Since I was getting my hair colored I also received a hand massage while the color was processing.



I had 2 hours of complete bliss.  Every nasty thought and emotion from earlier in the weekend just melted as my head was massaged and my color transformed.  And it's not just the hair that got transformed, I feel...transformed.  Of course there are still the sad feelings, the feelings of loss and loneliness..and I miss my Jersey girl, Carissa, and hanging out at her house while getting my hair done...but after 2.5 years in Iowa I finally found a hair place that I look forward to going to...and can afford!  


Without further ado...here's the before (with my wonderful Carissa who flew from Jersey to do all the hair for the wedding!):




and after 2 hours at the Aveda Institute yesterday:






Ignore the crazy eyes in the second photo...I wasn't going to post it but it shows the red color waaaaaaaaaay better than the first.  And looking at it, that's not even doing justice to the red...but this blog allows for plenty of time to post pictures of my new hair...and new life.


Jeff and I have settled in for our Sunday night tv shows...The Walking Dead and Homeland.  And as the weekend raps up we're gearing up for the week ahead.  I hope that you and yours had a wonderful weekend...and that the week ahead brings you joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment